Thursday, February 9, 2012

My First Slot Machine! by Jenny Creekmore

Several years ago, Don and I were visiting with a fellow slot machine collector.  We were very fortunate to have the opportunity to look at his wonderful collection.  As we were looking at all of these unique machines, there it was, the slot machine that I knew we needed to have in our personal collection.  Unfortunately, this slot machine wasn’t for sale and I was quickly informed that not many of these machines had been manufactured.  Well frankly, it kind of busted my bubble, but just a little.   

I begged Don to find me one of these machines.  He told me that they were made by the Jennings Company and that they were made for less than two months.  He wanted to make sure that I understood it could take years to find a machine for sale.  So on occasion, I would ask him about my dream machine.  
Well, several years later….
Don came home and said, you won’t believe it, we have a chance to buy your slot machine.  So here it is, my very first slot machine that I purchased.  

Jennings Victoria A - AKA The Witch or Black Cat

It is my understanding that the operators back in the day called this machine the Black Cat.  The Jennings Company called this machine the Victoria Model A.  Today people refer to it as the Black Cat or the Witch. 
When the machine arrived home, I was just simply thrilled.  Our new machine looks aesthetically fantastic and is in perfect original condition.  Even the original fortune reel strips look perfect.  So here I go…I put my very first nickel into the machine and pulled the handle.  Boy howdy, the mechanism was groaning and growling like something was trying to get out of the witches cauldron.  I instantly asked Don, why the machine was so noisy.  He informed me that the machine was playing just fine and not to be alarmed.
The Jennings Company spent years developing a new mechanism.  The goal was to place the jackpot on the mechanism.  This was done for numerous reasons, of which, I hope to discuss in future postings.  The Jennings Company had great expectations for this slot machine with its new technology and look.  Unfortunately, around the same time, the Mills Company released the War Eagle.  The slot machine was not popular with the operators and the Jennings Company received negative feedback about the machine.  The Jennings Company quickly created the slot machine known as the Victoria Model B. So after less than two months of being manufactured, my wonderful and amazing Black Cat was no longer being made. 
A little bit ago, I played my machine and I hit three oranges.  The fortune says… “You’ll elope with, A country hick, Who’ll be your down-fall”  Just plain silly!  On a serious note, I am so privileged to own such a rare and unique slot machine.  I frequently get asked if I would sell my machine.  Perhaps one day, but not today.  The Witch and I are just having too much fun!

3 comments:

  1. I to have a dream machine, Jennings light up Chief. Hope to find one sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the comment! The Nation's Attic maintains a list of slot machines that customers are wanting. If you would like, please email us at slots@nationsattic.com or call at 316-371-1828 and we are more than happy to add your contact information to our list. This way, if we come across a machine you are looking for, we can get in touch with you right away. Thanks again. Jenny Creekmore

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a child we owned one of these. My dad use to entertain a lot, he had built a bar in the basement, this was one of his treasures. My sister and I would set the winnings so we knew when it would pay out. I wish my mom had not made dad get rid of it. She was notorious of throwing out valuable treasures. I cannot believe I found this picture of it. It breaks my heart we no longer have this. Thank you for posting this.

    ReplyDelete